My Backpacking Trip


About a year ago I went on my first backpacking trip.  Of course I did it with my dad, and it was fun.  I carried a lot of water with me and a lot of dried food.  It also involved a lot of walking and taking breaks. 

Dad and I hiked six miles altogether.  It started to rain on us when we got the tent set up.  We sat in the tent and waited out the rain with some food.  I also played a game on my dad’s phone.

After it stopped raining, we explored the lake that we hiked to.  We went around the lake and found some throwing knives that someone had left behind, stuck in a tree.  We also saw a bald eagle perched on a tree; then he flew off.  We found a feather on the ground that was left behind by a bald eagle. 

While we were at the lake, we only saw one other tent, but it was gone when we got back from exploring.  I was a little bit bored because we forgot to bring stuff to occupy ourselves.  It was very quiet except for the sound of some airplanes and wind.

If you’re going backpacking for the first time, here is what you’re going to need: a tent, a light-weight sleeping bag, some dried food (which you can find at outdoor stores), some granola bars, a lot of water, a small cooking set (which you can also find at outdoor stores), something to keep you occupied, and finally, clothes.  Everything that you bring backpacking should be light-weight or you shouldn’t bring very much of it.  You have to be pretty strong to carry your backpack.  You might want to try walking around with it before going on the actual hike. 

That’s my backpacking story.  If you're going for the first time, leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.  Good bye! 

Comments